    SubjectRE: HT not working by default since 2.4.22
    Okay, so what to do?

    We could make 2.4.23 like 2.4.21 where ACPI code for HT is included in
    the kernel even when CONFIG_ACPI is not set.

    Or we could leave 2.4.23 like 2.4.22 where disabling CONFIG_ACPI really
    does remove all ACPI code in the kernel; and when CONFIG_ACPI is set,
    CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is available to limit ACPI to just the tables part
    needed for HT.

    I'd prefer the later (doing nothing) because CONFIG_ACPI really should
    exclude all of ACPI. If we start including bits of ACPI without
    CONFIG_ACPI, where do we stop?

    I'm not sure how to address "compatibility" and "regression" concepts in
    the face of changing config files. Make oldconfig will ask you about
    CONFIG_ACPI -- perhaps I should update the help text to emphasize that
    it is necessary for HT, and that if selected, CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is
    then available?

    Is defconfig used? Does it define "compatibility"? If so, we could
    define CONFIG_ACPI && CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY in defconfig to get the 2.4.21
    behavior -- then could have our cake and eat it too.

    I don't feel strongly about which way to go, but I will want to keep 2.4
    and 2.6 as similar as possible in this area.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.024 / U:22.316 seconds]