    Con - With swappiness set to 100, the apps do start up in 3 minutes and kswapd doesn't hog the CPU. But X is still unusable till all of them have started up.
    Wli - Sorry, vmstat segfaults on 2.6!

    kernel@kolivas.org wrote
    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:38, warudkar@vsnl.net wrote:
    > Trying out 2.6.0-test4-mm1. Inside KDE, I start OpenOffice.org, Rational
    > Rose and Konsole at a time. All of these take extremely long time to
    > startup. (approx > 5 minutes). Kswapd hogs the CPU all the time. X becomes
    > unusable till all of them startup, although I can telnet and run top. Same
    > thing run under 2.4.18 starts up in 3 minutes, X stays usable and kswapd
    > never take more than 2% CPU.

    Yes I can reproduce this with a memory heavy load as well on low memory
    (linking at the end of a big kernel compile is standard problem). I actually
    found the best workaround was to increase the swappiness instead of
    decreasing it.

    Try
    echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

    time it

    then try
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

    you'll see that at low swappiness kswapd0 can use ridiculous amounts of cpu
    trying to avoid swap. The default is 60.

    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.029 / U:0.224 seconds]