SubjectRe: WINE + Galciv + 2.6.0-test3-mm1-O15
At 01:34 PM 8/13/2003 +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:24, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > >Yes, herein lies one of those mysteries that still eludes me but I have
> > > been investigating it. I can now reproduce in other applications what
> > > appears to be the problem - Two cpu hogs, X and evolution for example are
> > > running and evolution is making X the cpu hog. The problem is that X gets
> > > demoted whereas evolution doesn't. Strangely, dropping evolution to nice
> > > +1 or making X -1 seems to change which one gets demoted, and X is now
> > > much smoother. I assume the same thing is happening here between wine and
> > > wineserver, which is why you've seen reversal of priorities in your
> > > I will continue investigating to find out why the heck this happens and
> > > try and fix it.
> > >
> > >Con
> > >
> > >P.S. I've cc'ed MG because he has seen the scheduler do other forms of
> > >trickery and may have thoughts on why this happens.
> >
> > That sounds suspiciously similar to my scenario, but mine requires a third
> > element to trigger.
> >
> > <scritch scritch scritch>
> >
> > What about this? In both your senario and mine, X is running low on cash
> > while doing work at the request of a client right? Charge for it. If X is
> > lower on cash than the guy he's working for, pick the client's pocket...
> > take the remainder of your slice from his sleep_avg for your trouble. If
> > you're not in_interrupt(), nothing's free. Similar to Robinhood, but you
> > take from the rich, and keep it :) He's probably going straight to the
> > bank after he wakes you anyway, so he likely won't even miss it. Instead
> > of backboost of overflow, which can cause nasty problems, you could try
> > backtheft.
>
>Not a bad idea at all. The working for someone else thing is killing me. Now,
>how to implement...

I had to back up and regroup a bit because of backboost sanity problems
(wish I could pull those dang fangs, backboost is wonderful otherwise), but
the attached cured my inversion problem.

-Mike [unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.152 / U:0.180 seconds]