    SubjectRe: The disappearing sys_call_table export.
    On Thu, 15 May 2003, Jesse Pollard wrote:

    > On Wednesday 14 May 2003 16:32, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > Not so, with the latest Red Hat distribution (9). You can no longer
    > > set init=/bin/bash at the boot prompt.... well you can set it, but
    > > then you get an error about killing init. This caused a neighbor
    > > a lot of trouble when she accidentally put a blank line in the
    > > top of /etc/passwd. Nobody could log-in. I promised to show her
    > > how to "break in", but I wasn't able to. I had to take her hard-disk
    > > to my house, mount it, and fix the password file. All these "attempts"
    > > at so-called security do is make customers pissed.
    > I fix those errors with by booting the Slackware CD with the live
    > filesystem...
    > No dependancies on any of the regular disks - then I can fix anything within
    > reason (haven't tried md raids though).

    You don't have to do that. Richard is mis-informed. Any of the following
    still work on Red Hat Linux 9:

    init=/bin/bash # drops you straight to a bash shell
    init 1 # runs runlevel 1 SysV init scripts and rc.sysinit
    init single # runs rc.sysinit, but not runlevel 1
    init emergency # runs a shell

    all without going to rescue media.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.019 / U:33.268 seconds]