    SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.65-ac3
    On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Once your tty and ide bits are merged, what's left on the plate (in your
    > > opinion) before 2.6.0-test1?
    >
    > 32bit dev_t is a showstopper
    >
    > then
    >
    > Debugging, debugging, and more debugging
    > Driver porting
    > Driver resyncs with 2.4
    > Finding the remaining scsi bugs
    > A ton more IDE work before I am happy
    > Fixing the pci api hotplug races
    > DRM 4.3 cleaned up and working
    >

    > I think the dev_t one is the only stopper now before we go into
    > stop futzing with core code and fix bugs mode

    I think there is still a need for futzing with a few things. The elevator
    code has several modes, all of which seem to have at least one "jackpot
    case" where performance suddenly gets very bad. That's ture of the
    scheduler as well.

    Since both have improved vastly in the past few months, I think it's worth
    giving a little more time to diddle the algorithms in those areas. The
    usual people are hard at work, both issues are getting better in recent
    versions, and I hope the last bit of touch-up is considered bug fix even
    on such core code.

    It would be nice if someone could get the older SCSI adaptors to compile
    and work, aha152x and 1542 are my personal issues, I have them in some
    machine embedded. And I have several machines with a non-functional
    parallel port, which works fine under 2.4.18 (and is detected at least by
    2.4.20). I see it detected but there's "no /dev/lp0" later. I stopped
    posting about it because there are more important things, but a functional
    printer would be nice.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc