Subject2.4 series IDE troubles
Hello,

IM not sure this is the way to go about this (obviously) but doing
searchs at google for the error message I get just leads to the painful realization that there are many questions out there but
few answers. Anyhoo when I try adding a compact flash card as an
IDE drive to a system running under 2.4 I get kernel panics:

VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
Please append a corect "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root

Just on a lark I decided to go back to a 2.2 series kernel (since
I had gotten flash recognized b4 when using a Mandrake distro)
Eureka! working flash drive that is seen and formatable with no
troubles. PLEASE have the developers take a closer look at the IDE
drivers for 2.4 as it seems they cause a great deal of grief, at
least from what I see in searchs on these errors. Usually the problem
is blamed on the user and they are asked hundreds of irritating questions about hardware and configuration.

Regards,

John Sims

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:1.680 / U:0.264 seconds]