    Subject2.4 series IDE troubles

    IM not sure this is the way to go about this (obviously) but doing
    searchs at google for the error message I get just leads to the painful realization that there are many questions out there but
    few answers. Anyhoo when I try adding a compact flash card as an
    IDE drive to a system running under 2.4 I get kernel panics:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
    Please append a corect "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root

    Just on a lark I decided to go back to a 2.2 series kernel (since
    I had gotten flash recognized b4 when using a Mandrake distro)
    Eureka! working flash drive that is seen and formatable with no
    troubles. PLEASE have the developers take a closer look at the IDE
    drivers for 2.4 as it seems they cause a great deal of grief, at
    least from what I see in searchs on these errors. Usually the problem
    is blamed on the user and they are asked hundreds of irritating questions about hardware and configuration.

    John Sims

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.018 / U:4.856 seconds]