    Subject2.4 series IDE troubles
    Hello,

    IM not sure this is the way to go about this (obviously) but doing
    searchs at google for the error message I get just leads to the painful realization that there are many questions out there but
    few answers. Anyhoo when I try adding a compact flash card as an
    IDE drive to a system running under 2.4 I get kernel panics:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
    Please append a corect "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root

    Just on a lark I decided to go back to a 2.2 series kernel (since
    I had gotten flash recognized b4 when using a Mandrake distro)
    Eureka! working flash drive that is seen and formatable with no
    troubles. PLEASE have the developers take a closer look at the IDE
    drivers for 2.4 as it seems they cause a great deal of grief, at
    least from what I see in searchs on these errors. Usually the problem
    is blamed on the user and they are asked hundreds of irritating questions about hardware and configuration.

    Regards,

    John Sims

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.018 / U:119.724 seconds]