SubjectRe: 2.6 vs 2.4 regression when running gnomemeeting
Hmm.  Gnomemeeting has a history of strange threading issues (actually, all
OpenH323 derived projects do). Is there a threading change that might
explain this?

Andrew

--On Saturday, 20 December 2003 4:32 a.m. +0100 Christian Meder
<chris@onestepahead.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 03:55, Con Kolivas wrote:

>> Since so many things have actually changed it's going to be hard to
>> extract what role the cpu scheduler has in this setting, but lets do
>> our best.
>>
>> Is there a reason you're running gnomemeeting niced -10? It is hardly
>> using any cpu and the problem is actually audio in your case, not the
>> cpu gnomemeeting is getting. Running dependant things (gnomemeeting,
>> audio server, gnome etc) at different nice levels is not a great idea
>> as it can lead to priority inversion scenarios if those apps aren't
>> coded carefully.
>>
>> What happens if you run gnomemeeting at nice 0?
>
> Exactly the same. It was only reniced to -10 because I tried it and
> forgot to set it back. With your scheduler renicing doesn't make a
> difference. No matter if I renice the compile to 19 or gnomemeeting to
> -10. With Nick's scheduler renicing gnomemeeting to -10 improves the
> situation.
>

>> How is your dma working on your disks?
>
> /dev/hda:
> multcount = 0 (off)
> IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
> unmaskirq = 0 (off)
> using_dma = 1 (on)
> keepsettings = 0 (off)
> readonly = 0 (off)
> readahead = 256 (on)
> geometry = 65535/16/63, sectors = 117210240, start = 0
>
>> What happens if you don't use an audio server (I'm not sure what the
>> audio server is in gnome); or if you're not using one what happens when
>> you do?
>
> esd was running but I'm not sure gnomemeeting with ALSA support was
> using it. After killing esd and retrying there was no difference.
>
>> Renice the audio server instead?
>
> gnomemeeting without audio server is showing the same phenomenon like
> gnomemeeting with esd.
>
>> You've already tried different audio drivers right?
>
> Yes, the phenomenon occurs for the OSS and the ALSA driver.
>
>> Nice the compile instead of -nicing the other stuff.
>
> Tried it with same result (see above).
>
>> Try the minor interactivity fix I posted only yesterday for different
>> nice level latencies:
>> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.0/patch-2.6.0-O21int
>
> Actually all the posted results were on a 2.6.0-test11-mm1 with your
> patch added on top. So the patch didn't change anything for me.
>
>> Is your network responsible and the audio unrelated? Some have reported
>> strange problems with ppp or certain network card drivers?
>
> The problem occurs whether I use my WLAN PCMCIA card or my PCMCIA
> Ethernet card.
>
>> As you see it's not a straight forward problem but there's some things
>> for you to get your teeth stuck into. As it stands the cpu scheduler
>> from your top output appears to be giving appropriate priorities to the
>> different factors in your equation.
>
> I know that the problem isn't straight forward that's why I refrained a
> [...]

---------
Andrew McGregor
Director, Scientific Advisor
IndraNet Technologies Ltd
http://www.indranet-technologies.com/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.091 / U:2.468 seconds]