SubjectRe: Switch APIC to driver model (and make S3 sleep with APIC on)
Hi!

> >This switches apic code to driver model, cleans code up a lot, and
> >makes S3 while apic is used work. Please apply,
>
> Please don't apply this. It breaks stuff:
>
> 1. apic_suspend() unconditionally calls disable_apic_nmi_watchdog()
> apic_resume() unconditionally calls setup_apic_nmi_watchdog()
> apic_pm_state.perfctr_pmdev removed
>
> - You're calling local-APIC NMI watchdog procedures even if
> the local-APIC NMI watchdog isn't active. Bad.

Fixed.

> - You're hardcoding that the local-APIC NMI watchdog is the
> only possible sub-client of the local APIC. Not true.
> - perfctr_pmdev exists precisely to handle both these cases
> in a clean way.

While being as ugly as night, which is even noted in sources:

- /* 'perfctr_pmdev' is here because the current (2.4.1) PM
- callback system doesn't handle hierarchical dependencies */

Nothing prevents more clients from registering as subtrees to APIC. I
did not do that for NMI watchdog because it is hardcoded in Makefile,
anyway.

> 2. You unconditionally register apic_driver with its suspend/resume
> methods through a device_initcall().
>
> This breaks if a UP_APIC or SMP kernel runs on a CPU with no or
> an unusable local APIC. apic_pm_init2() does a runtime check
> for successful init before doing a pm_register().

Fixed.

> 3. You severed the link between the PM API and the local APIC.
>
> This breaks APM suspend when the local APIC is enabled. The
> machine will hang (or immediately resume). I tested this, and
> the driver model "stuff" simply doesn't do the right thing yet.

I'll fix APM to call device model methods.

> I you just want SOFTWARE_SUSPEND to work, why not simply post the
> appropriate PM_SUSPEND and PM_RESUME events?
> That should work without any changes to apic.c or nmi.c.

Because PM_SUSPEND/PM_RESUME is ugly and can not be made to work
(devices are hierarchical, and PM_SUSPEND/PM_RESUME system does not
honour that).
Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.