    SubjectRe: Switch APIC to driver model (and make S3 sleep with APIC on)
    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:25:27 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    >This switches apic code to driver model, cleans code up a lot, and
    >makes S3 while apic is used work. Please apply,

    Please don't apply this. It breaks stuff:

    1. apic_suspend() unconditionally calls disable_apic_nmi_watchdog()
    apic_resume() unconditionally calls setup_apic_nmi_watchdog()
    apic_pm_state.perfctr_pmdev removed

    - You're calling local-APIC NMI watchdog procedures even if
    the local-APIC NMI watchdog isn't active. Bad.
    - You're hardcoding that the local-APIC NMI watchdog is the
    only possible sub-client of the local APIC. Not true.
    - perfctr_pmdev exists precisely to handle both these cases
    in a clean way.

    2. You unconditionally register apic_driver with its suspend/resume
    methods through a device_initcall().

    This breaks if a UP_APIC or SMP kernel runs on a CPU with no or
    an unusable local APIC. apic_pm_init2() does a runtime check
    for successful init before doing a pm_register().

    3. You severed the link between the PM API and the local APIC.

    This breaks APM suspend when the local APIC is enabled. The
    machine will hang (or immediately resume). I tested this, and
    the driver model "stuff" simply doesn't do the right thing yet.

    I you just want SOFTWARE_SUSPEND to work, why not simply post the
    appropriate PM_SUSPEND and PM_RESUME events?
    That should work without any changes to apic.c or nmi.c.

    /Mikael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.023 / U:1.148 seconds]