SubjectRe: Megaraid crash (Blocked mailbox......!!) with 2.4.19-aa and 2.4.20-aa
Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've seen this at least 5 times now in one month.. One of our boxes die
> when postgresql maintenance script AND backup cron jobs are ran at the =
> same
> time (by mistake - normally they are not ran at the same time)..
>
> So it seems to be related to high disk i/o. The adapter is
> HP NetRAID 1M with latest firmware. There is one RAID5 array with 3 dis=
> ks
> configured to it.
>
> Usually this crash happens 1 to 2 times a week.. always when cron start=
> s to
> run the stuff at the night. The console will be flooded with "Blocked
> mailbox......!!" text (which surprisingly means that the megaraid firmw=
> are
> has stopped responding.. according to google)
>
> This box doesn't have high disk i/o at the daytime, only at the night w=
> hen
> cron starts to do things..
>
> When the cron jobs are not ran at the same time, the box is stable.
>

> Other box using the same kind of adapter, but RAID1 array instead, havi=
> ng
> high disk i/o all the time doesn't have any problems.. (with the same k=
> ernels).
>

> Kernels are compiled with gcc 2.95.4 (Debian 3.0).
>

> Any thoughts?

I saw this on one of our boxes running RH 6.2 with the 2.2.16 kernel
a few times in one month. Software doesn't get old and break, usually,
so I turned the box off, reseated all the drives, and after I turned it
back on, we never had that problem again. I think this is one of those
intermittent hardware problems. The kind that are the most "fun" to
solve.

Good Luck,

Andy Johnson

> -- Pasi Kärkkäinen
>
> ^
> . .
> Linux
> / - \
> Choice.of.the
> .Next.Generation.
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"=
> in

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:1.675 / U:0.020 seconds]