    SubjectRE: Killing/balancing processes when overcommited

    The mem eaters may not be the ones really "causing the problem" as
    determined by the installation. The case where I discovered this was when
    someone was asking for a lot of small chunks of memory (legitemately). So
    you would need a history and a total memory usage to identify who this is.
    And this is not really just limited to memory.

    I still favor an installation file in /etc specifying the order in which
    things are to be killed. Any alogrithmic assumptions are bound to fail at
    some point to the dissatisfaction of the installation.

    And this is not just limited to memory exhaustion. For example, if I exceed
    the maximum number of files, I can't log on to fix the problem. If the
    installation could set some priorities, they could say who to sacrifice in
    order to keep others running.

    Regards, Jim
    Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs
    t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, jlsibley@us.ibm.com
    *** Grace Happens ***

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.024 / U:30.540 seconds]