    SubjectRe: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)
    On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 wrote:
    > > On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > One problem we're running into here is that there are absolutely
    > > no tools to measure some of the things rmap is supposed to fix,
    > > like page replacement.
    > But page replacement is a means to an end. One thing tht would be
    > very interesting to know is how well the basic VM assumptions about
    > locality work in a Linux server, desktop, and embedded environment.
    > You have a LRU approximation that is supposed to approximate working
    > sets that were originally understood and measured on < 1Meg machines
    > with static libraries, tiny cache, no GUI and no mmap.

    Absolutely, it would be interesting to know this.
    However, up to now I haven't seen any programs that
    measure this.

    In this case we know what we want to measure, know we
    want to measure it for all workloads, but don't know
    how to do this in a quantifyable way.

    > L.T. writes:
    > > Read up on positivism.
    > It's been discredited as recursively unsound reasoning.

    To further this point, by how much has the security number
    of Linux improved as a result of the inclusion of the Linux
    Security Module framework ? ;)

    I'm sure even Linus will agree that the security potential
    has increased, even though he can't measure or quantify it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.033 / U:36.092 seconds]