SubjectRe: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
> One problem we're running into here is that there are absolutely
> no tools to measure some of the things rmap is supposed to fix,
> like page replacement.

But page replacement is a means to an end. One thing tht would be
very interesting to know is how well the basic VM assumptions about
locality work in a Linux server, desktop, and embedded environment.

You have a LRU approximation that is supposed to approximate working
sets that were originally understood and measured on < 1Meg machines
with static libraries, tiny cache, no GUI and no mmap.

L.T. writes:

> Read up on positivism.

It's been discredited as recursively unsound reasoning.

Victor Yodaiken
Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.