    SubjectRe: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)
    > On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > One problem we're running into here is that there are absolutely
    > no tools to measure some of the things rmap is supposed to fix,
    > like page replacement.

    But page replacement is a means to an end. One thing tht would be
    very interesting to know is how well the basic VM assumptions about
    locality work in a Linux server, desktop, and embedded environment.

    You have a LRU approximation that is supposed to approximate working
    sets that were originally understood and measured on < 1Meg machines
    with static libraries, tiny cache, no GUI and no mmap.

    L.T. writes:

    > Read up on positivism.

    It's been discredited as recursively unsound reasoning.

    Victor Yodaiken
    Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.025 / U:147.168 seconds]