    SubjectRe: Linux v2.4.19-rc5
    On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > > Here are some dbench numbers, from the "for what it's worth" department.
    >
    > Call me an optimist, but after all the reliability problems we had win the
    > 2.5 series, I sort of hoped it would be better in performance, not
    > increasingly worse. Am I misreading this? Can we fall back to the faster
    > 2.4 code :-(

    Dbench is at its best when half (or more) of the dbench processes
    are stuck semi-infinitely in __get_request_wait and the others can
    operate in RAM without ever touching the disk.

    In effect, if you want the best dbench throughput you should make
    the system completely unsuitable for real world applications ;)

    There are a few things that are good for both real world performance
    and dbench performance, but those are easily dwarved by random factors
    like IO scheduling, timeslice length, etc...

    regards,

    Rik