SubjectRe: NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups
At 19:04 08/07/02, Axel Siebenwirth wrote:
>Is it still the lack of information on the filesystem from Microsoft?

No, we have a pretty good idea of ntfs now. But it is a complicated fs and
when writing you need to take care of a lot of things simultaneously or you
corrupt the volume. ntfs is organized as a transactional, relational
database , hence there is a lot of book keeping involved in modifyin any
structure. Even without supporting the journal (we will not support it at
least initially...) almost all data is duplicated in various places and if
you forget to update something somewhere when updating it elsewhere you
basically make salad of the metadata and the probability is quite high that
you end up killing the data on the volume either in part or completely...

Finally I am busy with my PhD and I have two part time jobs as well so I
don't have much time to develop ntfs... As always with free software
development, it goes slowly...

Anton

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown