    SubjectRe: NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups
    At 19:04 08/07/02, Axel Siebenwirth wrote:
    >Is it still the lack of information on the filesystem from Microsoft?

    No, we have a pretty good idea of ntfs now. But it is a complicated fs and
    when writing you need to take care of a lot of things simultaneously or you
    corrupt the volume. ntfs is organized as a transactional, relational
    database , hence there is a lot of book keeping involved in modifyin any
    structure. Even without supporting the journal (we will not support it at
    least initially...) almost all data is duplicated in various places and if
    you forget to update something somewhere when updating it elsewhere you
    basically make salad of the metadata and the probability is quite high that
    you end up killing the data on the volume either in part or completely...

    Finally I am busy with my PhD and I have two part time jobs as well so I
    don't have much time to develop ntfs... As always with free software
    development, it goes slowly...

    Anton

    --
    "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown