    SubjectRe: device model documentation 1/3

    On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Patrick Mochel wrote:

    > > > int (*bind) (struct device * dev, struct device_driver * drv);
    > > > };
    > > >

    > > Please - Why do you call it bind? Does it have something with
    > > netowrking to do? Please just name it attach. This way the old UNIX
    > > guys among us won't have to drag a too big
    > > "UNIX to Linux translation dictionary" around with them.
    > > As an "added bonus" you will stay consistent with -
    > >
    > > PCMCIA code base in kernel
    > > USB code base in kernel
    > > IDE code base (well recently)
    >
    > Ok, I can live with that.

    Actually, I take that back. attach is the wrong nomenclature as well for
    the action. 'match' would be more correct.

    The entry point is the opportunity for the bus to compare a device ID with
    a list of IDs that a particular driver supports. It's a 'compare' or
    'match' operation. At this point, the driver is not attaching to the
    device; it's only checking that's its ok to attach.

    So, how about naming it 'match', and changing the
    {driver,device}_{,un}bind() in drivers/base/core.c to
    {driver,device}_{,un}attach() (since those are what is doing the
    attachment)?

    The entire process, though, I think is still best described as "Driver
    Binding", as it is a common, modern term for what's happening.

    -pat

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.054 / U:0.388 seconds]