SubjectRe: intent-based lookups (was Re: SMB filesystem)
On Jun 03, 2002  18:45 -0400, Ion Badulescu wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:34:59 +0200 (CEST), Urban Widmark <urban@teststation.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently autofs has a problem where it won't show the mountpoints of
> > non-mounted directories, but I think you would run into that problem too.
> > (short version of the problem: how do you prevent 'ls -l' from mounting
> > all filesystems in a directory?)
>
> You add the concept of a "light" lookup, and you make path_walk() call this
> "light" lookup (be that a separate fs method, or a flag passed down to real
> lookup()) iff the path component being looked up is the last component in
> the path. A "light" lookup sets a flag in the inode signalling that the inode
> is incomplete, so cached_lookup() can check this flag and call a "full"
> lookup() (or perhaps a "full" revalidate()) if necessary.
>
> The actual details need to be thought out a bit more, this is only a general
> outline. In particular, we need a bullet-proof way to determine when to
> "upgrade" the inode from "light" to "full".

This may fit nicely with some work we are doing for Lustre (a scalable
distributed filesystem for Linux) which needs to do "intent-based
lookups". It has a similar desire to separate the lookups of the start
of the path from the lookup of the last component of the path. Peter
Braam (CC'd) has a patch for 2.4.18 which implements this. I pass the
discussion over to him...

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger