    SubjectRe: SMB filesystem
    On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:34:59 +0200 (CEST), Urban Widmark <> wrote:

    > Currently autofs has a problem where it won't show the mountpoints of
    > non-mounted directories, but I think you would run into that problem too.
    > (short version of the problem: how do you prevent 'ls -l' from mounting
    > all filesystems in a directory?)

    You add the concept of a "light" lookup, and you make path_walk() call this
    "light" lookup (be that a separate fs method, or a flag passed down to real
    lookup()) iff the path component being looked up is the last component in
    the path. A "light" lookup sets a flag in the inode signalling that the inode
    is incomplete, so cached_lookup() can check this flag and call a "full"
    lookup() (or perhaps a "full" revalidate()) if necessary.

    The actual details need to be thought out a bit more, this is only a general
    outline. In particular, we need a bullet-proof way to determine when to
    "upgrade" the inode from "light" to "full".

    You then also need to add a "getdents" kind of message to the autofs
    protocol, and a "light lookup" message (which confirms the existence of the
    entry, and maybe returns the type of the entry: symlink or directory).

    Once all this is done, I'll add support for it in am-utils in a jiffy...

    Ion (am-utils co-maintainer)

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.024 / U:0.676 seconds]