    SubjectRe: vfat patch for shortcut display as symlinks for 2.4.18
    Also sprach Francois Gouget:
    > On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > > Francois Gouget writes:
    > >
    > > > This looks like a bad idea. The reason is that the VFAT driver is
    > > > the wrong abstraction layer to support the '.lnk' files:
    > > >
    > > > * on Windows if you open("foo.lnk") you get the .lnk file, not
    > > > the file
    > > > it 'links' to. On Linux you would get the file it points to
    > > > instead which is a different behavior.
    > >
    > > That's a common Windows app bug which exists exactly because
    > > the Microsoft implementation is at the wrong abstraction layer.
    > No it is not a 'Windows app bug' bug. It is you who are mistaken
    > because you persist in believing that .lnk files are or are meant to
    > be symbolic links. They are not.
    > Unix has the exact equivalent to .lnk files. These are the '.dsektop'
    > files used by KDE and Gnome (they even used to be called '.kdelnk'
    > files in KDE 1).

    These files *are not* Unix files in the sense that they have universally
    understood or generally accepted semantics. They are artifacts of KDE and
    GNOME and the window managers I use do not know how to interpret them,
    except as plain vanilla text files.

    Canada Bill Jone's Motto:
    It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money.

    A .44 magnum beats four aces.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.024 / U:298.772 seconds]