    SubjectRe: vfat patch for shortcut display as symlinks for 2.4.18

    On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Kurt Wall wrote:

    > Quite so: the kernel sees .desktop and sees a plain old file; Windows sees
    > .lnk and does something that resembles interpreting them. Again, my point
    > was that .desktop files do not map cleanly .lnk files.

    "Windows" as in...? AFAICS Windows _kernel_ sees .lnk and sees a plain old
    file. Some part of godforsaken mess known as GNOME asks kernel to read
    from plain old file and interprets the contents returned by read(). Some
    part of godforsaken mess known as Windows userland asks kernel to read from
    plain old file and interprets the contents returned by read(). In either
    case interpretation is done in userland.

    I don't see any reason to put that stuff into the kernel - no more than
    putting ~-expansion or globbing in there.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.022 / U:60.912 seconds]