SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18-pre9-mjc2
Hi!

> > > If you want to get arrested it sounds a great idea. Thats up to you
> >
> > Huh? They are shipping faulty products. Unless their manual say "you
> > are only allowed to run windows 95 release 1, Word version 3.71 and
> > Outlook 17.32 and nothing else, you have handled your computer
> > properly and its *their* problem.
>
> You didnt handle it properly. You'll find the old "you cannot damage the
> computer" messages vanished about the time of the IBM/AT. You instructed
> it to erase critical internal data, so it did.

I asked it to read temperature sensors *then* it commited suicide.

I believe consumer protection laws require manual to be shipped with a
product, and manual should state how you should handle your
computer. Unless they say "never run anything you downloaded", they
should return your machine.

> > repair. Everyone with a clue has jumper on stuff like flashing, and I
> > can imagine that opening the case can void your warranty.
>
> You don't however have a jumper to protect your disk firmware do
> you...

In such case disk should either:

*) have "firmware flasher" part unwritable,

or

*) check signature on whatever it is flashing in, and if it does not
match, refuse to flash it.

--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.