    SubjectRe: /proc/pci deprecation?

    On 9 Dec 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > I wonder if this is why we have all these problems with VIA chipset
    > interrupt handling. According to VIA docs they _do_ use
    > PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE on integrated devices to select the IRQ routing
    > between APIC and PCI/ISA etc, as well as 0 meaning "IRQ disabled"

    Whee.. That sounds like a load of crock in the first place, since the
    PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE thing should be just a scratch register as far as I
    know. However, it doesn't really matter - we definitely should never write
    to it anyway, so the VIA behaviour while strange should still be

    Anyway, to get back on the original discussion, I think we should remove
    the writing, and then make sure that /sbin/lspci (or some other tool) can
    be made to easily show either the kernel irq mapping value _or_ the
    "original PCI config space" value. At that point I'd agree that /proc/pci
    has outlived its usefulness.

    (Although I still think the name database is nice to have - I certainly
    prefer it over having a lot of drivers having their _own_ name databases
    for printout purposes).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.026 / U:0.008 seconds]