    SubjectRe: /proc/pci deprecation?
    On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:00:44AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On 9 Dec 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >
    > > I wonder if this is why we have all these problems with VIA chipset
    > > interrupt handling. According to VIA docs they _do_ use
    > > PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE on integrated devices to select the IRQ routing
    > > between APIC and PCI/ISA etc, as well as 0 meaning "IRQ disabled"
    > Whee.. That sounds like a load of crock in the first place, since the
    > PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE thing should be just a scratch register as far as I
    > know. However, it doesn't really matter - we definitely should never write
    > to it anyway, so the VIA behaviour while strange should still be
    > acceptable.

    I can confirm that on most builtin VIA southbridge devices (namely USB)
    the register isn't just a scratch register and that indeed it is used by
    the interrupt router.

    > Anyway, to get back on the original discussion, I think we should remove
    > the writing, and then make sure that /sbin/lspci (or some other tool) can

    I guess only the irq re-routing code specific to VIA would then write
    those values, because it has to if the BIOS didn't set them up correctly.

    > be made to easily show either the kernel irq mapping value _or_ the
    > "original PCI config space" value. At that point I'd agree that /proc/pci
    > has outlived its usefulness.
    > (Although I still think the name database is nice to have - I certainly
    > prefer it over having a lot of drivers having their _own_ name databases
    > for printout purposes).

    It definitely made many drivers simpler.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:5.100 seconds]