SubjectRe: ps performance sucks
Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> If you're going to do that, then specify stuff via the filename:
> /proc/12345/hack/80basic,20pids,20uids,40argv,4tty,4stat

Well, you'd get the numbers (sizes) from the kernel, as a
response. Of course, you could define the interface such that
the query (after all, that's what it is) contains the full
field name plus size information, and the kernel just says
"EINVAL" if it doesn't like it, but then you lose some
flexibility. Might not be a big deal, though.

Yeah, perhaps it's actually better to avoid being overly
clever. How frequently are ps and friends hit by the removal
of fields or size changes anyway ?

Oh, BTW, it would be more like /proc/hack/<query>, so you do
all PIDs in one sweep.

> Not that I care for dealing with the above!

Well, that's what programs are for :-)

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, Buenos Aires, Argentina /