    SubjectRe: ps performance sucks
    On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    > > Strace it - IIRC it does 5 opens per PID. Vomit.
    >
    > Nope, it does 2. Perhaps you're not running procps 3 yet?
    > http://procps.sf.net/
    >
    > Of course if you do something like "ps ev" you need all 5.

    Well, since you're doing all this stuff to push your version, how about
    an option to do a fast ps for most processes and only do the hard work for
    processes owned by a given user. Or not owned, so everything not root
    would be shown in detail, as an example. What about showing or not
    threads, or showing minimal detail (fast) for threads.

    There is a lot of room for options if you want to see everything but
    only detail for some.

    I wish competing procps could be merged, I feel as though it's something
    not requiring the time of top kernel developers. If you are willing to add
    features suggested by others and they are willing to push a feature list
    to you maybe that could happen.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc