    SubjectRe: [lkcd-general] Re: What's left over.

    > What he really wants is for Andrew or Alan or someone else he trusts
    > to merge it, get actual field results, and declare it useful. If
    > people start visibly passing around crash dump results on l-k and
    > solving problems with them, that'll help too. Until then all he has is
    > his gut feel to go on.

    Are you sure? Isn't what Linus is saying is that he understands that some
    problems can be solved using dumps, some from the oops message and some by
    source code inspection and some by others means. But, he's not interested
    in a timely resolution; he has a preference for solving the problems by
    looking at the source and only that way. That's his preference: arguments
    relating to timeliness and commercial considerations are of no interest to
    him - simply because they argue for benefits in which he has no interest.
    Because LKCD doesn't personally interest him he has declared that he will
    not merge it; it' up to some trusted advocate.

    So, for those of use who passionately care whether Linux has a system
    dumping mechanism, we need to regroup, we need to decide the correct
    strategy for gaining LKCD's inclusion into the kernel. Many of the
    arguments relate to timeliness and ultimately have a commercial benefit. I
    suggest we actively campaign among the various distros who are interested
    in selling Linus businesses and provide support. We also need to
    concentrate on consolidating the various requirements of a system crash
    dump - it's going to be much easier for everyone if there is a consensus on
    system dumping technology.

    First crucial question - are there any avenues still open for 2.5?

    Richard J Moore
    RAS Project Lead - IBM Linux Technology Centre

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.049 / U:84.812 seconds]