    SubjectRe: PCI Hotplug Drivers for 2.5
    Hi,

    On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:10:08 -0700
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

    > Also, why doesn't the ACPI PCI hotplug driver work for your machines?
    > I've seen it work on a very wide range of processors (i386 and ia64),
    > and manufacturers, and any specific issues with your hardware would
    > probably be better addressed with patches to the existing ACPI driver.

    The ACPI spec provides very limited control of actual hardware
    (With ACPI, we don't have common method for controlling such as Bus
    speed, LED etc.).
    So if a hardware comes with well-documented hotplug controller, we
    can achieve finer control over the hardware.

    The SHPC specification defines it still depends on ACPI for managing
    resources, etc. So resource management portion can be and *should be*
    shared with all PCI hotplug drivers that use ACPI for resource
    management.

    I think the most important thing is everyone agree on the direction
    in which we should go before we code anything, in order not to waste
    our time.

    Thanks,
    --
    KOCHI, Takayoshi <t-kouchi@cq.jp.nec.com/t-kouchi@mvf.biglobe.ne.jp>