    SubjectOne for the Security Guru's

    Once there was a company durring the boom. This company had
    some outside consultants come in and tell them how to do a number of
    things. Many of the things were laughed off but some stuck. 2 things
    in particular are giving me nightmares now that I'm at this company.
    They have survived the bust and I think will actually stand a very good
    chance to be very important in the near future so I want to see them
    stay sane, stable and secure.

    The consultants aparantly told the company admins that kernel modules
    were a massive security hole and extremely easy targets for root kits.
    As a result every machine has a 100% monolithic kernel, some of them
    ranging to 1.9Meg in filesize. This of course provides some other
    sticky points such as how to do a kernel boot image.

    I'd like it from the guru's on exactly how bad a hole this really is
    and if there is a method in the kernel that will prevent such exploits.
    For example, if I disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is the kernel less likely
    to accept a module we didn't build? Are there plans to implement some
    form of finger printing on modules down the road?

    Thanks for your imput guys,

    Robert L. Harris

    These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:13.132 seconds]