SubjectOne for the Security Guru's

Once there was a company durring the boom. This company had
some outside consultants come in and tell them how to do a number of
things. Many of the things were laughed off but some stuck. 2 things
in particular are giving me nightmares now that I'm at this company.
They have survived the bust and I think will actually stand a very good
chance to be very important in the near future so I want to see them
stay sane, stable and secure.

The consultants aparantly told the company admins that kernel modules
were a massive security hole and extremely easy targets for root kits.
As a result every machine has a 100% monolithic kernel, some of them
ranging to 1.9Meg in filesize. This of course provides some other
sticky points such as how to do a kernel boot image.

I'd like it from the guru's on exactly how bad a hole this really is
and if there is a method in the kernel that will prevent such exploits.
For example, if I disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is the kernel less likely
to accept a module we didn't build? Are there plans to implement some
form of finger printing on modules down the road?

Thanks for your imput guys,

Robert L. Harris

These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.