SubjectRe: [patch] thread-aware coredumps, 2.5.43-C3
   Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:48:47 -0400
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>

You'd have to ask Mark Kettenis about that. Mark, it looks like you
updated the kernel to write namesz == 6, but BFD still expects 5 (and
elfcore_write_note writes 6)? Shouldn't we accept both, anyway?

Depends...

The whole story about the SSE register stuff is a bit muddy. IIRC,
the support for the reg-xfp sections was added by Jim Blandy to
support unofficial kernel patches that were developed/used internally
at RedHat. That's probably why Jim picked this weird value for
NT_FPXREG. Only some parts of those kernel patches ended up in
Linus's tree, and even those bits underwent some changes for which I
adjusted GDB. Even now the official kernel still doesn't have support
for the SSE registers in core files, and as far as I know there is no
patch floating around that's in wide use (yet) that adds this support.
Therefore, I don't think we should "contaminate" our source with
backwards compatibility hacks. That's what I suggested when I
submitted a patch for BFD. See the thread at:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-07/msg00096.html

As you can see from the last message I got permission to change 5 into
6. Then I went on holiday, and forgot about the stuff :-(. I assume
Alan would be still OK with the patch, so I'll add the change in a moment.

In the light of the discussion above, I don't think Ingo's patch
should change NT_FPXREG/NT_PRFPXREG from 20 to 0x46e62b7f (and the
name shouldn't be changed either I think). We should change it in
GDB/BFD instead from 0x46e62b7f. The value 20 is already publically
available in the current kernel headers and glibc headers. What are
your feelings about that, Ingo?

Mark

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.147 / U:0.044 seconds]