    SubjectRe: Athlon PSE/AGP Bug
    Yep, that was the first thing that crossed my mind.

    I had a floppy with memtest86 installed on it, and it ran for 4 hours
    without any errors. Since I've seen memtest86 find bad bits on memory
    that normally worked for me, I figured that this must surely indicate
    that my segfaults are not related to bad memory subsystem.

    Also, while I expect setting the command line option
    would slow things down slightly, I don't think that they'd be so slow
    as to hide the bad memory. Also, the segfaults happen VERY reliably
    without the mem=nopentium option, and have not happened even once,
    WITH the mem=nopentium option.

    One more curious thing is, I've got 64MB GForce-2 MX, and the largest
    I can set my AGP aparature size to is 64MB. Maybe a boundary
    condition thing???

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:13:42 +0100, you wrote:

    >Steve Brueggeman <> writes:
    >> Forgot to mention, I got the segfaults compiling kernels while running
    >> linux-2.4.17, I was in console, and did not have Frame Buffer, or drm drivers
    >> loaded. I did have the SiS AGP compiled into the kernel though.
    >On my new system at home, I got similar segfaults. Running memtest86
    >revealed that one of the RAM modules had a problem--and if I swapped
    >them, the BIOS startup code wouldn't even expand the actual BIOS code
    >every other system boot. After removing the offending RAM module (and
    >later replacing it) the problems were completely gone and haven't
    >returned yet...
    >Fortunately, I didn't know of the PSE/AGP bug back then. This made
    >debugging much, much easier. ;-)

    Do You Yahoo!?
    Get your free address at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.023 / U:45.840 seconds]