    SubjectRe: Athlon PSE/AGP Bug
    From
    From: Stuart Young <sgy@amc.com.au>
    Subject: Re: Athlon PSE/AGP Bug
    Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:36:56 +1100

    > At 04:52 PM 22/01/02 -0600, Steve Brueggeman wrote:
    > >I would like to see some indication that someone is collecting data
    > >related to "running stable with mem=nopentium on Athelon
    > >architecture", and maybe we can see a pattern here. Heck maybe we see
    > >2 or 3 different patterns here.
    >
    > Well I'm quite willing to give all the system specs we have at work and the
    > ones I have at home (all up, this is about 12 Athlon's that are running
    > Linux, all running fine so far with no issues) towards this process.
    >
    > I've not seen your system specs, so I'm wondering what sort of m/board you
    > have? The mention of the SiS AGP support makes me wonder if you are running
    > an SiS chipset board. In the past, Linux kernel developers and the XFree86
    > team have had a huge amount of trouble (or in some cases, flat refusal) in
    > getting certain (usually up to date) specs out of SiS, and I'm wondering if
    > maybe this could be related somehow, as none of the systems I've got have
    > an SiS chipset in them (they are all AMD or VIA chipsets).

    Yes the docs and driver for the graphic part of the sis630 suck (I
    helped debuggin/hacking it ...) - but the sis735 runs rock solid here!
    Using a mga450 and an Athlon XP1700+.

    Here I only see one Athlon system crashing all the time. This is a
    700Mhz Duron runnign in a Asus A7V. With a 2.4.16 kernel compiled with
    Athlon optimization all applications are crashing all time (sed, cc,
    gcc, sawfish - all. Simply sig-11), with a 2.4.4 kernel (using the
    same .config) it seem to run just fine. 4 passes of memtest86 showed
    no error, either ...

    I see the broken via chips involved most of the time.

    We will try a i386-only optimized kernel tomorrow.

    > Now I'm not saying this is an SiS issue, but maybe it's more prevalent with
    > SiS chipsets? Until we get some hard data, who knows!
    >

    > Stuart Young - sgy@amc.com.au
    > (aka Cefiar) - cefiar1@optushome.com.au
    >
    > [All opinions expressed in the above message are my]
    > [own and not necessarily the views of my employer..]

    k33p h4ck1n6 and goo night
    René

    --
    René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

    eMail: rene.rebe@gmx.net
    rene@rocklinux.org

    Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:92.008 seconds]