SubjectRe: [ANNC] Linld 0.94 available
Date
[resending]

On 16 January 2002 20:13, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> >>I told you... INT 15 AX=E801 returns memory size twice, in AX/BX and
> >>CX/DX. DOS kills the first one, not the second one.

Ok, I brought old Turbo Debugger from home...

It is not true on this box I type this message right now. 128 MB RAM.
Under DOS:
INT 15 AX=E801 returns carry set and AH=86 (have no BIOS manual here to look
up this error code), other registers unchanged.
INT 15 AH=88 returns AX=0.
INT 15 AX=E820 - not tested, but obviously not working (or else kernels would
boot fine without linld/loadlin kludge or kernel patch)

So we have "triple-0" failure extracting mem size info from INT 15.

> There is a much easier way to do it: intercept int 15 e801 and return the
> values in cx/dx in ax/bx. Reading the CMOS is quite broken; it fails if
> the BIOS has reserved memory for its own uses.

Where do you propose to get memory size in this case?

> > Agreed. I hope we will never receive a bug report about BIOS stupid
> > enough to report "triple-0" :-)
>
> Such a BIOS wouldn't boot DOS (HIMEM.SYS actually), nor Windows, so the
> likelihood of that is zero. BIOS receive very little testing, that much
> is obvious (and I've actually had BIOS vendors tell me "we don't care"
> when they get a very detailed bug report with exact steps on how to
> reproduce), but booting DOS and Windows *does* get tested.

You're right, DOS/Win won't boot.

Just imagine old lovely 486 box never tested by manufacturer to work well
with 64 MB of RAM. Joe Random Hacker plays Meg-o-Rama, but BIOS does not
understand how that can be: int 15 fn 88 does not fit in 16-bit reg?!
DOS does not boot, Joe says: well, Linux rulez, it will boot! but no...

OTOH, CMOS reading hack most probably would not work either... memscan time?
--
vda