    SubjectRe: [patch] softirq performance fixes, cleanups, 2.4.10.
    Date
    Hello!

    > - removed 'mask' handling from do_softirq() - it's unnecessery due to the
    > restarts. this further simplifies the code.

    Ingo, but this means that only the first softirq is handled.
    "mask" implements round-robin and this is necessary.

    > - '[ksoftirqd_CPU0]' is confusing on UP systems, changed it to
    > '[ksoftirqd]' instead.

    It is useless to argue about preferences, but universal naming scheme
    looks as less confusing yet. :-)

    Generally, I dislike this patch. It is utterly ugly.

    Also, you did not assure me that you interpret problem correctly.
    netif_rx() is __insensitive__ to latencies due to blocked softirq restarts.
    It stops spinning only when it becomes true cpu hog. And scheduling ksoftirqd
    is the only variant here.

    Most likely, your problem will disappear when you renice ksoftirqd
    to higher priority f.e. equal to priority of tux threads.

    Alexey

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.029 / U:29.988 seconds]