SubjectRE: VCool - cool your Athlon/Duron during idle
Date
> From: Alan Cox [mailto:alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
> > handle a too-hot cpu, but all C2/C3 gets you is reduced power when =
> > idle.
> > This results in better battery life on a laptop but that is
> irrelevant =
> > on a
> > desktop system.
>
> Thus speaks the country with chronic californian power
> shortages, and that
> wouldn't sign up to a global accord on global warming 8)

Hehe. Not my fault, I'm an Oregonian! :)

> C2 and C3 are useful IMHO even on a desktop PC. The slight hit on the
> transition is not noticable, the change on the power bill is.

Of course, I agree. However, my point was that it is not safe to use them
until the platform explicitly supports them. Validating this on desktop
motherboards has traditionally not been deemed worthwhile, though I share
your hope that that changes.

Regards -- Andy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.066 / U:0.488 seconds]