    SubjectRe: Oops when accessing /dev/fd0 (kernel 2.4.7 and devfsd 1.3.11)
    On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:07:06PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > Taylor Carpenter writes:
    > >
    > Well, the following line suggests a devfs interaction (provided you
    > are sure that you used the correct System.map:
    > > Trace; c015469b <devfs_unregister_blkdev+12eb/1960>

    I can check again, but I am fairly certain it was the correct System.map (I
    looked before and after when running ksymoops).

    > Are you unloading the floppy driver at some point? Or using module
    > autoloading?

    I am using module autoloading. It seems that right after the mountall script
    is called this happens.

    > Interesting. What happens if you use /dev/floppy/0 instead of /dev/fd0
    > in the /etc/fstab? Still an Oops?

    I will try that...

    I did not get the oops, but I could not access the device until I manually
    loaded the floppy module (the /dev/fd0 was created as usual).

    After booting w/the floppy module not loaded I can start and stop devfsd and
    load and unload the floppy module in any order w/o an oops. I only get the
    oops if the module is loaded during boot.

    Also when I get the oops during boot, the floppy module is not loaded once the
    system is through booting and I login, but /dev/fd* are all there! With out
    the oops /dev/fd* is only there when I load the floppy module (and disappears
    as usual when I rmmod the module).

    > Strange. I tried the following sequence, without problems:
    > # devfsd /dev
    > # mount /floppy
    > # ls -lF /dev/floppy

    I could not mount the floppy until I manually loaded the floppy module! This
    is after editing /etc/fstab as you said below.

    > where /etc/fstab has:
    > /dev/floppy/0 /floppy ext2 defaults,noauto,user 0 0
    >
    > I have nothing in my /etc/devfsd.conf which refers to the floppy.

    I only reference floppy in my perms file.

    > In addition, I don't have any LOOKUP entries. I did this with 2.4.9 with
    > devfs-patch-v188.

    I have many LOOKUP entries. I did not have any specific to /dev/fd*, but that
    was caught by the .* LOOKUP entry. I commented that out, which is probably
    why mdir and other commands do not work w/o manually loading floppy.o.

    > Could you please try reproducing the problem with the setup and sequence I
    > used?

    I believe I followed your steps, and had no oops during boot w/the /etc/fstab
    change. I do not think that made the difference though. I think telling
    devfsd to not autoload floppy is what let me boot w/o oops. So I think there
    still is a problem w/loading the floppy module during boot.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.025 / U:1.336 seconds]