    SubjectRe: Switching Kernels without Rebooting?
    helgehaf@idb.hist.no (Helge Hafting)  wrote on 12.07.01 in <3B4D7685.9AC1DED@idb.hist.no>:

    > Kai Henningsen wrote:
    >
    > > What I'd *really* like (but don't see how to get there) would be a "save
    > > system state, shutdown, change kernel and/or hardware, reboot, restore
    > > state" system (where state is like "I'm logged in on this console, in this
    > > current directory, and under X I have Netscape running and this page
    > > displayed" but I don't care about the exact state of Squid or even if my
    > > ISDN line is dialled in, because those "fix themselves").
    >
    > Consider os/2 then. All workplace-shell aware programs is supposed to
    > save
    > state in this way.

    The keyword is "supposed". Because I remember from my OS/2 days that most
    didn't.

    OTOH, Borland's DOS IDE does. It's a mixed bag.

    > And yes - they do start up in the same state after
    > reboot if you want to. Editors come up on the page you left, filesystem
    > folders comes up, and so on.

    Most programs from IBM got it right, most others didn't, as far as I can
    recall.

    > > and then every user-visible non-transient program
    > > needs to implement it - and I don't see *that* happen in the next ten
    > > years.
    >
    > Consider a patch for konqueror or a few other webpage/fs-view programs
    > and you'll go a long way - all in userspace.

    Well, Netscape *can* sort of do it (for one window).

    But how do I make it happen for bash? login? xdm? Amd so on ... anyway, I
    simply don't have the time for such a project. I'm spread too thin as it
    is.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.022 / U:0.260 seconds]