    SubjectRe: Switching Kernels without Rebooting?
    Kai Henningsen wrote:

    > What I'd *really* like (but don't see how to get there) would be a "save
    > system state, shutdown, change kernel and/or hardware, reboot, restore
    > state" system (where state is like "I'm logged in on this console, in this
    > current directory, and under X I have Netscape running and this page
    > displayed" but I don't care about the exact state of Squid or even if my
    > ISDN line is dialled in, because those "fix themselves").

    Consider os/2 then. All workplace-shell aware programs is supposed to
    save
    state in this way. And yes - they do start up in the same state after
    reboot if you want to. Editors come up on the page you left, filesystem
    folders comes up, and so on.

    > and then every user-visible non-transient program
    > needs to implement it - and I don't see *that* happen in the next ten
    > years.

    Consider a patch for konqueror or a few other webpage/fs-view programs
    and you'll go a long way - all in userspace.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.031 / U:3.288 seconds]