    SubjectRe: Missing cache flush.
    Date

    jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com said:
    > > I was pointed at Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt but that doesn't seem
    > > very helpful - it's very PCI-specific, and a quick perusal of
    > > pci_dma_sync() on i386 shows that it doesn't do what's required anyway.

    > What should it do on i386? mb()?

    For it to have any use in the situation I described, it would need to
    writeback and invalidate the dcache for the affected range. It doesn't seem
    to do so, so it seems that it isn't what I require.

    The situation is simple - I have a paged RAM setup and I need it cached.
    All I want to do is flush and invalidate the cache when I'm about to waggle
    whatever I/O ports I waggle to change pages.

    There are other situations in which I need the cache flushed, but the above
    is one of the simplest.

    Even flush_page_to_ram() doesn't seem to do what its name implies, on most
    architectures.

    --
    dwmw2