SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop
Date
Alan wrote:

> > 4: make bzImage && make modules && make modules install && cp
> > arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/'uname -r' something inside make menuconfig
>
> So really you want an outside GUI tool that lets you reconfigure build and
> install kernels. Yeah I'd agree with that. Someone just needs to write the
> killer gnome/kde config tool. I've got C code for parsing/loading config.in
> files and deducing the dependancy constraints if anyone ever wants to try
> and write such a tool 8)

KDE-2.2 will do this.

I have KDE-2.2alpha2 running here (beta1 is around the corner) and it has it
included. I looked at it but didn't tested it, yet.

KDE Control Center --> System --> Linux Kernel Configurator

> > 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or
> > cddrive in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new
> > distribution.
>
> Thats actually an incredibly hard problem to solve. The only people who do
> this level of stuff are some of the telephony folks, and the expensive
> tandem non-stop boxes.

SUN Enterprise
IBM S/390 (zSeries)
etc...

-Dieter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.164 / U:0.292 seconds]