    SubjectQuestion about console driver switch
    Date

    I am porting a serial driver on my MIPS board and have to provide support
    for serial console. After going thru the initialisation sequence: Looks
    like in the initial stages before the interrupts and memory is set up; a
    serial driver is set up by some brute force method in the function
    serial_console_init() and the write function address is registered to the
    printk module. After interrupts and memory are available; the old
    memory(and hence the old UART driver) is freed using init_freemem() and
    full-fledged UART driver is setup.

    Now the doubts are:
    (i) After the old serial driver is thrown out using init_freemem and new
    driver is installed; register_console() is not invoked again. I tried
    printing the address of the write function in printk and they remain the
    same. Now how does printk start throwing out the messages using the new
    driver?
    (ii) Does init_freemem free both text and data? If so should care be taken
    for including code before free_initmem is called?

    Since I do not belong to this mailing list; It would be nice if I am replied
    back to my official e-mail: raghav@ishoni.com

    Thanks in advance

    Raghav

    P.Raghavan
    ishoni Networks (India) Pvt Ltd (http://www.ishoni.com)
    ...Broadband for everyone
    email:raghav@ishoni.com
    Phone: +91-80-2292125 (Work)
    Fax: +91-80-2995545 (Work)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:0.364 seconds]