    SubjectQuestion about console driver switch

    I am porting a serial driver on my MIPS board and have to provide support
    for serial console. After going thru the initialisation sequence: Looks
    like in the initial stages before the interrupts and memory is set up; a
    serial driver is set up by some brute force method in the function
    serial_console_init() and the write function address is registered to the
    printk module. After interrupts and memory are available; the old
    memory(and hence the old UART driver) is freed using init_freemem() and
    full-fledged UART driver is setup.

    Now the doubts are:
    (i) After the old serial driver is thrown out using init_freemem and new
    driver is installed; register_console() is not invoked again. I tried
    printing the address of the write function in printk and they remain the
    same. Now how does printk start throwing out the messages using the new
    (ii) Does init_freemem free both text and data? If so should care be taken
    for including code before free_initmem is called?

    Since I do not belong to this mailing list; It would be nice if I am replied
    back to my official e-mail:

    Thanks in advance

    ishoni Networks (India) Pvt Ltd (
    ...Broadband for everyone
    Phone: +91-80-2292125 (Work)
    Fax: +91-80-2995545 (Work)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:1.692 seconds]