SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.0.0 release announcement
Michael Elizabeth Chastain <chastain@cygnus.com>:
> I like mconfig, but I like CML2 better.

Reminder for the rest of you: Michael *wrote* mconfig.

> My primary reason is that ESR has more time to work on CML2 than I do
> on mconfig. And speed problems are often the easiest problems to solve.
>
> Eric did some performance analysis. If I recall correctly, all but 1
> or 2 seconds of CML2's runtime is in the parser. He has rewritten the
> parser once. Maybe someone needs to rewrite it again, maybe propagate
> some changes into the language spec to make it easier to parse, maybe
> rewrite from Python to C.

The *language compiler's* runtime got cut in half when I hand-rolled a
parser for it. The speed problem now is in the configurator itself.
One of my post-1.0.0 challenges is to profile and tune the configurator
code to within an inch of its life.

'Faith' means not _wanting_ to know what is true.
-- Nietzsche, Der Antichrist