    SubjectRe: [patch] tmpfs for 2.4.1

    On 02.02 H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > "J . A . Magallon" wrote:

    > > > Unfortunately we lost this ability in the 2.4.0-test series. SYSV shm
    > > > now works only on an internal mounted instance and does not link the
    > > > directory entry to the deleted state of the segment.
    > > >

    > > Mmmmmm, does this mean that mounting /dev/shm is no more needed ?
    > > One step more towards easy 2.2 <-> 2.4 switching...
    > >

    > In some ways it's kind of sad. I found the /dev/shm interface to be
    > rather appealing :)

    I did not get the chance to deal too much with it, but apart from moving
    functionality from userspace (ipcs) to kernel (ls), what were/could be the
    benefits of /dev/shm ?. Can you create a shared memory segment by simply
    creating a file there, or it is just a picture of what is in kernelspace?.

    First time I saw that I thought: what could happen if /dev/shm is shared
    in a cluster ? or, lets suppose that /dev/shm is a logical volume made by
    addition of some nfs mounted volumes, one of each node, so one piece of
    the shm fs is local and other remote...kinda DSM/NUMA...?

    (just too much marijuana late at night...)

    --
    J.A. Magallon $> cd pub
    mailto:jamagallon@able.es $> more beer

    Linux werewolf 2.4.1-ac1 #2 SMP Fri Feb 2 00:19:04 CET 2001 i686