    SubjectRe: [patch] tmpfs for 2.4.1
    "J . A . Magallon" <> writes:

    > I did not get the chance to deal too much with it, but apart from moving
    > functionality from userspace (ipcs) to kernel (ls), what were/could be the
    > benefits of /dev/shm ?. Can you create a shared memory segment by simply
    > creating a file there, or it is just a picture of what is in kernelspace?.

    The most appealing thing to me was rm -f /dev/shm/.IPC* :-) So I
    should make a patch to ipcrm to allow multiple segments (and

    You could not create SYSV shm segments with open, but you could delete
    them with rm and list the with ls.

    > First time I saw that I thought: what could happen if /dev/shm is shared
    > in a cluster ? or, lets suppose that /dev/shm is a logical volume made by
    > addition of some nfs mounted volumes, one of each node, so one piece of
    > the shm fs is local and other remote...kinda DSM/NUMA...?

    No, this was never possible. It was only a fs interface to local
    kernel objects (and still is).

    > (just too much marijuana late at night...)

    Oh, you are allowed to dream ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.024 / U:1.300 seconds]