SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system
At Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:20:01 +0000 (GMT),
Alan Cox wrote:
> > Frankly, I find it very amusing that advocates of i18n efforts tend to
> > be either British or USAnians. Folks, get real - your languages are
> > too close to show where the problems are. I can see how doing that
> > gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, but could you please listen to those
> > of us who have to deal with the resulting mess for real?
>
> The biggest advocates I see are from the Middle-East and Japan. We already
> have people providing translations for Configure.help in several languages.

Yes. We JF Project (Japan) is still keeping translating Configure.help
into Japanese for the stable kernel version 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4.

We have some interest in distributing our translated-Configure.help,
but, such distribution needs so-high-precious technical translation.
I think to leave quality control of Configure.help from developer
is not good, we have to be so careful, and it's a big problem.

In addition, I think we need a framework for keeping up to date with
the latest Configure.help against translated Configure.help.
Consistency between original Configure.help and translated-Configure.help
must be kept. IMHO, for example, if CONFIG_FOO is changed between 2.4.16
and 2.4.17, then (translated-)CONFIG_FOO must show in original English,
even if we have only 2.4.16-translated-CONFIG_FOO, and so on.

-- gotom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.216 / U:0.052 seconds]