    SubjectRe: 2.4.>=13 VM/kswapd/shmem/Oracle issue (was Re: Google's mm problems)
    Date
    On Friday 09 November 2001 09:38, Ken Brownfield wrote:

    > We're seeing an easily reproducible problem that I believe to be along
    > the same lines as what Google is seeing. I'm not sure if Oracle's SGA
    > (shmem) can be mlock()ed, but I'm guessing there's a state analogous to
    > Solaris' ISM. We're seeing this on a 4GB machine with HIGHMEM/HIGHMEM4G
    > set, using 2.4.1{3,4,5-pre1}.

    [SNIP]

    Oracle is a horrendous memory hog.
    Looks like it's getting more bloated with each next release.

    If I will start some seriuos database programming,
    I will try PostgreSQL first... it is at least Open Source,
    we can see what's inside.

    > Basically, this problem makes it impossible to run Oracle on Linux,
    > which is really a massive problem from our point of view. If someone
    > could show me how to provide more useful information or further debug
    > this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. This includes specific
    > alternate kernels, or perhaps without HIGHMEM4G or HIGHMEM.

    Whee, looks like you guys really willing to resolve this...
    Pity I can't do anything for you. Let's hope some VM folks will be
    interested.
    --
    vda