SubjectRe: 2.4.>=13 VM/kswapd/shmem/Oracle issue (was Re: Google's mm problems)
Thanks for looking into this -- I really mean it.  I'm looking forward
to the patch and how it compares to the others I've received. ;-)

Again, good work, and thanks to all,
--
Ken.
brownfld@irridia.com

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 06:40:36PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
| On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:38:51AM -0600, Ken Brownfield wrote:
| > We're seeing an easily reproducible problem that I believe to be along
| > the same lines as what Google is seeing. I'm not sure if Oracle's SGA
|
| FYI: yes, that's the same problem. After some debugging I found the
| exact reason of the bug, and as Daniel claimed a few weeks ago it is
| really a VM problem, not an mlock problem. And it's one thing that I
| didn't noticed while rewriting the VM, so it is reproducible on all 2.4
| kernels out there, no matter what VM is in them. The kswapd infinite
| loop that can trigger with the -ac VM when all the ZONE_DMA is
| unfreeable (now fixed in mainline with classzone) have nothing to do
| with this google problem, kswapd is right here to spend cpu time, the
| bug is not kswapd activation.
|
| I just sent Ben (at Google) a patch that fixes the problem completly for
| me and for him and I'll try to release the real fix in the next days.
| (so far it's a dirty workaround, that is just usable fine in their and
| my memory configuration but it's not general purpose yet, but it's been
| more than enough to proof my theory so far and I've in mind how to fix
| it properly, tomorrow I hope I will implement it).
|
| Andrea
| -
| To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
| the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
| More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
| Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.118 / U:0.152 seconds]