SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 07:15:55PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> And I will claim that nobody else "designed" Linux any more than I did,
> and I doubt I'll have many people disagreeing. It grew. It grew with a lot
> of mutations - and because the mutations were less than random, they were
> faster and more directed than alpha-particles in DNA.

Ok. There was no design, just "less than random mutations".

There was a overall architecture, from Dennis and Ken. There
where a couple of good sound design principles, and there were a
couple of people with some sense of how it should work together.
None of that is incompatible with lots of trial and error and learn
by doing.

Here's a characteristic good Linux design method ,( or call it "less than random
mutation method" if that makes you feel happy): read the literature,
think hard, try something, implement
it, find it doesn't do what was hoped and tear the whole thing down.
That's design. Undesigned systems use the method of: implement some crap and then try to
engineer the consequences away.

> > The question is whether Linux can still be designed at
> > current scale.
> Trust me, it never was.

Trust you? Ha.

> And I will go further and claim that _no_ major software project that has
> been successful in a general marketplace (as opposed to niches) has ever
> gone through those nice lifecycles they tell you about in CompSci classes.

That's classic:
A) "trust me"
B) now here's a monster bit of misdirection for you to choke on.

Does anyone believe in those stupid software lifcycles?
So does it follow that this has anything to do with design?

> Have you _ever_ heard of a project that actually started off with trying
> to figure out what it should do, a rigorous design phase, and a
> implementation phase?
> Dream on.

I've seen better arguments in slashdot.

There was no puppet master - ok.
There was no step by step recipe that showed how it should all work - ok
There was no design involved - nope.