    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 07:15:55PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > And I will claim that nobody else "designed" Linux any more than I did,
    > and I doubt I'll have many people disagreeing. It grew. It grew with a lot
    > of mutations - and because the mutations were less than random, they were
    > faster and more directed than alpha-particles in DNA.

    Ok. There was no design, just "less than random mutations".

    There was a overall architecture, from Dennis and Ken. There
    where a couple of good sound design principles, and there were a
    couple of people with some sense of how it should work together.
    None of that is incompatible with lots of trial and error and learn
    by doing.

    Here's a characteristic good Linux design method ,( or call it "less than random
    mutation method" if that makes you feel happy): read the literature,
    think hard, try something, implement
    it, find it doesn't do what was hoped and tear the whole thing down.
    That's design. Undesigned systems use the method of: implement some crap and then try to
    engineer the consequences away.

    > > The question is whether Linux can still be designed at
    > > current scale.
    > Trust me, it never was.

    Trust you? Ha.

    > And I will go further and claim that _no_ major software project that has
    > been successful in a general marketplace (as opposed to niches) has ever
    > gone through those nice lifecycles they tell you about in CompSci classes.

    That's classic:
    A) "trust me"
    B) now here's a monster bit of misdirection for you to choke on.

    Does anyone believe in those stupid software lifcycles?
    So does it follow that this has anything to do with design?

    > Have you _ever_ heard of a project that actually started off with trying
    > to figure out what it should do, a rigorous design phase, and a
    > implementation phase?
    > Dream on.

    I've seen better arguments in slashdot.

    There was no puppet master - ok.
    There was no step by step recipe that showed how it should all work - ok
    There was no design involved - nope.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.025 / U:2.488 seconds]