    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 04:50:34PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > You know what the most complex piece of engineering known to man in the
    > whole solar system is?
    >
    > Guess what - it's not Linux, it's not Solaris, and it's not your car.
    >
    > It's you. And me.
    >
    > And think about how you and me actually came about - not through any
    > complex design.
    >
    > Right. "sheer luck".

    Somehow this does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about
    the length of the next Linux kernel development cycle.

    > And don't EVER make the mistake that you can design something better than
    > what you get from ruthless massively parallel trial-and-error with a
    > feedback cycle. That's giving your intelligence _much_ too much credit.

    Linux is what it is because of design, not accident. And you know
    that better than anyone.
    If mindless rooting about could make a good OS, then we'd all be using
    [ in a rare moment of good sense I don't finish this sentence ]

    The question is whether Linux can still be designed at
    current scale.

    > Quite frankly, Sun is doomed. And it has nothing to do with their
    > engineering practices or their coding style.

    The San Andreas fault?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:62.144 seconds]