    SubjectRe: The new X-Kernel !
    >  > And if they *do* understand it, from a dispassionate point of view,
    >> it does seem to make sense to put graphics drivers in the kernel -
    >> they're implemented as "device drivers" in every other desktop OS.
    >> Except MacOS X, where's it's an application layer like glibc, but
    >> nobody understand OS X yet beyond the hardest of developers.
    >
    >:) It would be interesting to learn more on it (if infomartion is available).
    >afaik it's a unix like system in its core.

    Take a look around Apple's site, particularly the developer section.
    There's documentation in spades if you can read PDFs. Fact, that's
    one of the best things about Apple - they document nearly everything
    in public view.

    > > But they don't realise that XFree86 has an *enormous* amount of
    >> developer time behind it, which would need to be duplicated to make
    >> it work in kernel space with full backwards compatibility. Oh, and
    >> did I mention this would all be for one platform - XFree86 is
    > > designed to run on many! It would also bloat the kernel tremendously.
    >
    >Also it would be nice if frame buffer can support 3D hw accelerated
    >gfx functions.
    >And so on. So probably a better interaction should be implemented between
    >various gfx elements of a tipical Linux system. [I don't know GGI very well
    >but AFAIK its goals are very interesting]

    Come to think of it, the kernel already supports a fair amount of
    video hardware, through framebuffer. I don't know how capable that
    is, though, beyond displaying and scrolling text in various
    resolutions, and as a place for XFree86 to fall back to. If fbdev is
    accelerated, some kind of userspace utility and kernel-space cleanup
    would potentially allow fully-accelerated (including 3D?) graphics,
    with much of the hard work in kernel space. Or is fbdev just a dumb
    framebuffer and I'm totally off track?