SubjectRE: Anyone working on multi-threaded core files for 2.4 ?
Date

a "good enough" bit of coherence for dumping, it seems to me, can be met by
insuring that none of the threads in the "process" are scheduled against a
CPU during the dump. On a UP this can be relatively simple to do by making
sure that each related thread is kept off the run queue while the dump
occurs, since it is known that none of the non-failing threads were running
when the dump started. On an MP you must also make sure that none of the
threads are running on any of the other processors when the dump starts.
Once all of the threads are stopped, then an "normal" dump is enough,
augmented by (optionaly) dumping the thread-specific state (ie PCB and
stack) of all of the threads in the "process."

Open question: whether or not to allow the remaining threads to continue
once the dump is completed, to abort them, or to signal them. Probably
should be run time configurable.

Marty

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.115 / U:0.156 seconds]